Software Engineer - Cloud - Birmingham, AL
- Department: Product Development
- Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
- Country: USA
Are you entrepreneurial, a polyglot programmer and a 12-factor app guru? Do you deploy containerized applications to any cloud providers? Are you interested in helping shape & contributing to our new Cloud products? If so, we would like to meet you!
You will play a significant role in the design and development of micro-services, components, and tools for Guidewire’s next generation, cloud-native data & analytics platform. Guidewire’s data platform is targeted to be best-in-class in enabling our customers with mission-critical insights and decision-making capabilities. You will work in a highly collaborative environment in agile, cross-functional teams.
What you would do
- Design and develop tools and automation to manage life cycle of high availability (HA) distributed services and applications on multiple platforms.
- Design, Develop and implement micro-services, components & tools
- Do test-driven (TDD), unit, and end-to-end testing
- Own scalability, availability and data security for your services
- Deploy containerized applications to the preferred cloud provider (AWS)
- Own Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) for your services
- Own, troubleshoot & resolve code defects
- Mentor other developers in best practices
- Support the operations team with deployment, support and triaging production issues for your code
What you would need to succeed
- Emphasize team wins over individual success
- Strong technical communication skills
- 5+ years relevant work experience
- Excellent software development skills in one or more of the following OOP languages: Java (and/or other JVM-based languages) / Golang / NodeJs
- Prior demonstrable experience Infrastructure as Code and configuration management, using tools like Terraform and Ansible.
- Have developed in more than one language and ready to pivot to any language/framework.
- Understand SOLID/Hexagonal Architecture and other design principles
- Understand REST API / gRPC for data interchange
- Understand microservices architecture patterns pattern like Service Discovery/API Gateway/Domain Driven Design etc.
- Intermediate-level debugging skills in Linux
- Have implemented distributed tracing and monitoring of apps
- Understand IaaS abstractions like Kubernetes / Cloud foundry / OpenShift
- Understand Serverless function and their relevant use
- Should have a sound understanding of repeatable automated services.
- Ability to work in an agile fast paced environment
- BS/MS degree (Computer Science or Math) or equivalent level of demonstrable professional competency.
Nice to Have
- Working knowledge of Kafka, Elasticsearch, Spring Boot, AWS
- Python and/or Bash programming skills
- Advanced debugging skills in Linux
- Startup experience
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. 380 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 700+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.