Senior/Principal Technical Writer (Developer Documentation) - San Mateo, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
As a technical writer on the Documentation team, you will:
- Plan, design, and develop content for our cloud-based solutions.
- Write documentation for our applications, plugins, and APIs.
- Work with geographically distributed teams of developers and product managers.
- Contribute to content development efforts and to departmental projects and initiatives.
- Collaborate with Documentation team members in other locations.
To succeed in this role, you must have excellent communication skills, strong technical skills, a hands-on approach, and a self-motivated attitude. Expect to work in a fast-changing, flexible environment, and to use your own judgment extensively.
Required skills and experience
- 5+ years of experience writing developer documentation for enterprise software products
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of API protocols and standards such as REST and WS-I
- Knowledge of structured topic-based authoring, such as DITA, and standard industry practices in information development and delivery
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, XML, and related web technologies
- Ability to write code for short documentation examples
- Ability to plan and prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to elicit information from experts and learn independently through research and experimentation
- BA/BS in Technical Writing, English, Computer Science, or related degree or comparable experience
- Ability to read and understand object-oriented-programming code (ideally Java)
- Experience with Git, Swagger, Markdown, and static site generators
- Experience with web applications and databases
- Experience working in an Agile environment
The Documentation team creates and publishes content that helps our users understand technical and business concepts and successfully deploy, customize, and use Guidewire products.
Our audience includes business analysts, technical consultants, and various levels of programmers. Writers must deeply understand the end-to-end behavior of our product features and functionality as well as related configuration files and APIs.
Guidewire delivers the industry platform that Property and Casualty insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
We are privileged to serve more than 380 P&C insurers in 34 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
We believe we have a good idea about what makes a fulfilling work life for employees: meaningful work, quality products, good work-life balance, and plenty of freedom to innovate and create.
The company is headquartered in San Mateo, California and is publicly traded under the symbol GWRE.
Seem like a good fit?
If you’re excited by the same things we are, we want to hear from you today! To see job listings and testimonials from employees about what it’s like to work at Guidewire, go to http://careers.guidewire.com.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.