Manager, Database Administration
- Department: Cloud and Customer Success
- Location: Toronto, Canada
- Country: Canada
The Manager, Database Administration is responsible for the day-to-day governance and performance management of the DBA’s and system owned by the Guidewire Cloud Operations team. This role will develop and implement the strategic direction; managing the personal and database systems by implementing policies and procedure for ensuring the security and integrity of the databases. This position will develop a customer care and service management philosophy that ensures customer satisfaction.
At Guidewire, we make software that offers Property and Casualty (P&C) Insurance companies the tools to take care of their customers when they need it the most, whether that’s a time of crisis, a natural disaster, an accident, or exposure to cyber risks. We build the core applications that insurance companies use to sell and underwrite policies, settle claims, and bill their customers. We also have a portfolio of innovate products serving the needs of P&C insurance companies in areas such as data management, digital online portals, and predictive analytics. We serve hundreds of insurance providers all over the world, helping them handle billions of dollars of business.
- Manage DBA teams supporting Oracle, MS SQL, PostgreSQL and MySQL Server Databases running in AWS.
- To be responsible for the setup, patching, debugging, upgrading and installation of databases and tool sets. Documents and maintains consistent and current patches across test development and production environments.
- Ensures data recovery, maintenance, data integrity, and space requirements for physical database are met through formulations and monitoring of policies, procedures, and standards relating to database management.
- Audits the current environments, provides capacity planning and best practices for the future production/development/test environments, which may include establishing new standards and procedures.
- Provide support to developers with troubleshooting and performance tuning, including System Global Area (SGA) analysis, disk subsystem tuning, and Structured Query Language (SQL) tuning of Oracle and custom views and queries.
- Develop strategy to Maintain and Support all databases with a goal to maximize availability and uptime.
- Develop strategy to improve DR preparedness and Plans.
- Maintain and improve best practices and standardize processes across the Database Team.
- Identify opportunities for operational efficiency through innovation and integration.
- Analyze and evaluate systems for consolidation, optimization or operational efficiency.
- Lead continuous improvement effort assessing current use and intended use of technology and service and maximize utilization of existing License agreements.
- Manage the team and help them to achieve high levels of operational excellence
- Assist teams by providing high level guidance around architectural, design, development efforts
- Author SOPs, Configuration Specifications and related technical documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems from four-year college or university or significant relevant experience
- 12+ years’ experience in Managing Database Platforms (Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL)
- Working technical experience with multiple Database Products
- Knowledge and experience in Shell, Python and/or PL/SQL programming
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire InsurancePlatform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, California, US with offices in London, Dublin, Paris, Munich, Sydney, Toronto, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and operations in Poland and mainland China. Guidewire is owned by its employees and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the call sign GWRE.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.