API Expert with Java (Staff / Architect) - San Jose, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: San Jose, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Description/Scope of Work
Guidewire's development team is looking for a smart, proactive, and results-oriented Software Engineer to build elegant solutions for the property & casualty insurance industry's complex business domain and make our industry-leading products even better.
InsuranceNow engineering at Guidewire has an exciting opportunity for you! InsuranceNow product is an all-in-one core, digital and data analytics system that provides comprehensive insurance business functionality. We are looking for senior level engineer who will play a significant role in enhancing the product architecture to be API centric. Our vision is to expose all of InsuranceNow product functionality through APIs to enable our customers build modern digital portals and experiences leveraging the APIs, and to enable seamless eco-system integrations.
While this is an architect role, the candidate is expected to spend 70% of in design, development, coding and testing activities. Ability to work with other architects in the InsuranceNow group, and other groups at Guidewire, including Services and Product Operations teams is essential.
This is a leadership role as well, the candidate is expected to be able to influence fellow-architects, his/her management on the architecture. Able to think strategic level and long-term is essential, since candidate is given in-charge to solve complex problems. Candidate is expected to define architecture and lead engineers on the delivery of product functionality based on the architecture.
If you don’t have any background in insurance domain, please don’t worry. We already have lot of folks with insurance domain knowledge, and they will collaborate with you to leverage the best of your skills., while you ramp up on insurance domain knowledge.
You will be part of highly collaborative team which leverages agile development methodology, pair programming and have fun with what they do every single day. You will have the opportunity to make an impact and contribute to a complex application suite of products that generate over 500 million dollars of revenue annually, mission-critical to 100+ enterprises serving more than a million users. Our software supports significant data volumes and heavy server load. Our platform includes a cluster-safe persistence layer, inter-application messaging architecture, an MVC Web layer, and a lot more.
Successful software engineers at Guidewire typically have:
- A desire to work collaboratively in an empowered, small, cross-functional team
- Experience working in an agile development environment (e.g. TDD, Agile, pair programming, etc.)
- A passion for code quality demonstrated by thorough testing
- A desire to be hands-on in designing and writing code
- Curiosity and internal motivation to constantly improve
- Excellent communication skills, comfort level to speak their mind and defend ideas based on merit, yet humility and hunger to learn from other
Key qualifications include experience with
- Core Java
- Strong architecture and development knowledge on API development: RESTful interfaces, Swagger, API gateways, Authentication/Authorization for APIs, accounting/metering/throttling of API usage.
- Service oriented architectures, distributed systems, container based architectures.
- Meta-data or model driven application architecture and development
- Familiarity with relational databases and transactional systems.
- Familiarity with Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, etc.
- Object-Oriented Design
- Agile development practices
- Cloud Services (AWS knowledge and people with AWS certifications are highly preferred)
- Knowledge of Web application security and Performance testing methodologies is highly desired
A typical candidate has following qualifications and experience:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Minimum of 12 years of total development experience in software industry, out of which 3-5 years of experience in architecting complex software applications.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.