Director of Engineering, Guidewire Data Platform - Foster City, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: Foster City, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Are you an experienced big data analytics specialist? Do you like to solve complex and high scale data challenges? Do you want to have an impact in the development and use of new data analytics technologies? We are seeking an Engineering leader with at least 10 years of experience in developing scalable, distributed systems to join the Guidewire InsurancePlatform team. You will provide design and development guidance to the team that is responsible for building the Guidewire Cloud Data Platform for P&C Insurance, and supporting analytics solutions built on top of the platform.
The Guidewire Data Platform team is part of the Guidewire effort to develop a new generation of cloud-deployed applications that will re-invent the future of P&C Insurance systems. If you like the energy of a small, focused team building all new software, within the stability, resources, and humane working environment of a profitable company, this could be perfect for you. We are working with a modern technology stack and building highly scalable applications that will be used, day in and day out, by people whose livelihoods depend on them.
As an experienced leader working on the Guidewire Cloud Data Platform that enables data and analytics functions across our product portfolio (http://www.guidewire.com/solutions/guidewire-live/), you will help define the future of our Cloud-based insurance offerings collaboratively as part of a cross-functional team. To be successful, you will need to have experience with Cloud Native Big Data technology, data lakes, data security, data modeling, AI and predictive analytics as well as be eager to lead a team of highly capable developers to deliver highly scalable and reliable solutions. This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability challenges for products consumed by many of the top insurance companies in the world! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment. This is a hands-on leadership role. Our Guidewire Cloud Data Platform team welcomes fresh ideas and is built upon the core values of collegiality, rationality, and integrity. We move quickly yet have the patience to not get ahead of ourselves. If this position resonates with you, contact us today.
- Design and develop a scalable cloud data analytics platform and solutions
- Collaborate with the other architects, development leads product managers, data scientists, business analysts and other engineers to define requirements and design solutions. To be successful you must drive consensus and balance the needs of many different constituencies.
- Lead assessment, benchmarking and selection of data analytics technologies to be added to the big data platform
- Work with the SaaS Operations and Security teams to ensure solutions that can be deployed in a cloud architecture with excellent performance, reliability and security
- Identify areas of architectural risk and work with architects and engineering to address them
- Provide best practices and enablement for developers on the InsurancePlatform applications team
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience developing a distributed data processing platform with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Storm, Spark, Kafka, Accumulo, Yarn, etc.
- Experience developing data lakes and vertical specific data security
- Financial and/or insurance data knowledge preferable. Specifically, bi-temporal modeling needed for insurance polices
- Hands-on programming experience, preferably in complex enterprise systems.
- Experience with mixed real-time, message-based and ETL-based data environments
- Experience with Object-Oriented Analysis and Design using Java, Python, etc.
- Experience working with, processing and managing large data sets (multi TB scale)
- Experience with hosted, multi-tenant data platform specifically utilizing AWS or Azure-based technologies to support reporting, exploration and analysis.
- Experience with machine learning and operationalizing analytic models
- Design solutions within the context of available infrastructure by taking into account scalability, availability, reliability, stability, security, and performance
- Strong understanding of data concepts: relational databases and performance, data warehousing, big data, analytics
- Demonstrated ability to adopt new technologies, practices and keep up to date with latest technology trends
- BS preferred, B.Sc. degree required in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or related field
Your responsibility will include, but aren’t limited to:
- Bring relentless customer focus balanced with adoption of scalable best practices for sustained excellence in development and delivery
- Contribute to long-term technology solutions based on business needs, architecture, and strategic drivers
- Lead the growth and development of an incredible team of talented and motivated engineers with high expectations for ownership and impact
- Work with other engineering leaders to implement a scalable application development and deployment platform including internal tooling to help development teams move faster
- Continuously stay up to date with industry changes and bring new ideas to the team
- Collaborative leadership style and ability to earn the respect of a talented engineering team.
- Willingness to travel. The engineering team is split across two locations (West Coast and East Coast) so a willingness to travel up to once a month is required
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Learn more about Guidewire and our approach to building software at http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/careers.
PLEASE NOTE: We are only able to hire candidates who have the legal right to work in the United States. Principals only. No phone calls, please.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.