Senior Application Support Engineer
- Department: Cloud and Customer Success
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Senior Application Engineers at Guidewire’s Regional Service Centers serve as second level contacts for troubleshooting, diagnosis, and escalation of customer issues for customers in the region. Duties will primarily be for our customers who host use Guidewire Software InsuranceSuite, Data Management
We live by our core principles of integrity, rationality, and collegiality. Your first responsibility is always to adhere to these principles in everything that you do.
Senior Application Engineers are responsible for developing mastery of at least three functional or technical areas of the products they support, along with substantial competence in the remaining areas of these products. They will be motivated by new challenges and enjoy the exposure to a broad range of technologies. They provide mentorship to other application engineers in their areas of mastery and general assistance to their peers in all areas.
Senior Application Engineers may be assigned responsibility for a large number of customer accounts, establishing regular communication and reporting on outstanding issues. They work collaboratively with Application Engineers, Lead Application Engineers, and Management to prioritize workloads and customer assignments, analyze more complex problems, and deal with difficult customer situations. Senior Application Engineers must be comfortable traveling to and visiting customer sites, presenting support related presentations, and interacting with customer staff at all levels.
This role serves as the point person representing Guidewire Software to our customer. The successful Senior Application Engineer is expected to work closely with our customers while making sure that our larger organization is kept abreast of product strengths and weaknesses. The position requires a unique blend of technical expertise and customer facing skills.
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent from third-level or higher education institution
- Successful 5-10 years of track record of implementing or supporting complex enterprise systems with integrations to different applications
- Previous implementation experience in at least two full life-cycle implementations
- Experience working in a development, analyst and / or application support role
- Experience with and understanding of web/J2EE architecture
- Advanced exposure to broad technical skills such as Object-Oriented programming (JAVA), relational databases (data modeling/SQL), web UI (design and development), XML, application architecture
- Experience with web technology components such as Ant, MQSeries, Git, Maven
- Experience with Application Servers such as Tomcat, Web Logic, Websphere, JBoss along with databases such as Oracle or SQL Server. Additional familiarity of Unix, Linux or Windows Server would be desired
- Experience with heap dump/thread dump analysis. Familiarity with
Javaprofilingtools would be desired
- Experience working with customers and peers distributed widely over multiple countries, regions, and time zone
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage client relationships and provide ongoing support for technical projects
- Experience developing technical specifications and then implementing those specifications through a combination of custom programming and product configuration
- Ability to work with services integration consultants to review technical designs and participate in code reviews
- Software development lifecycle exposure (AGILE) preferred.
- Gain proficiency in components of Guidewire InsurancePlatform, relevant technologies
- Contribute to a team environment that will have both local and remote leadership
- Ability to work independently but also collaborate effectively among the team members.
- Fast learner that can think out of the box and come up with creative solutions, while multi-tasking and sharing knowledge/expertise among the team
- Experience using a software defect tracking system such as JIRA
- Strong oral and written communication skills with
abilityto provide presentations to customers and team members
- Ability to
adoptto Knowledge-Centered Service (KCS) methodology and other team processes
- Knowledge of the insurance industry or prior implementation experience on an insurance related project
- Knowledge of ESB integration software for connecting applications, data sources, and API’s such as Mulesoft or SSIS
- Basic understanding of
data-warehousing(DW) and BI Design best practices and techniques
- Basic understanding of relational database theory and related project experience (i.e. data modeling, normalization, OLAP theory, etc.)
- Experience working in a
Knowledge CenteredService (KCS) methodology
- Experience with a commercial customer incident tracking or CRM system
This role requires a high degree of independence, ownership
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.