Technical Product Manager, Cloud Infrastructure – San Mateo, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Guidewire is widely recognized as the leading provider of software solutions for the property and casualty insurance industry. Our software offers property and casualty insurance companies the tools to take care of their customers when they need it the most, whether that’s a time of crisis, a natural disaster, an accident, or exposure to cyber risks. As part of this mission, Guidewire provides a cloud native data platform easily and reliably extract the data from their internal systems for use in operational reporting and internal data analysis; gain access to external data sources at internet scale; apply machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to curate and make sense of the data, analyze it and turn the raw data actionable insight.
We are looking for an accomplished Technical Product Management professional to join our team. In this role, you will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment to guide products from conception to launch by connecting the technical and business worlds. You will break down complex problems into steps that drive product development at speed. This opportunity is not just to build products, but to be part of a team that helps transform an industry with data & analytic driven technology at the center.
What you’ll do
- Manage education and adoption of platform features by internal development teams
- Define a product road map and determine features for each release
- Lead technical discussions with customers
- Customer Engagement: participate in customer facing situations; assist Support on key customer & consultant issues to improve total customer experience
- Work closely with the development organization through design, testing, and product release to deliver features
- Strategize with engineering leadership on process updates to improve velocity
- Establish shared vision across the company by building consensus on priorities leading to product execution
- Advocate for API consumers
- Gather requirements from Guidewire customers, development teams, consultants and sales teams, focusing on outcomes
- Develop and maintain API standards
- Write detailed user stories based on prioritized requirements
- Demonstrate flexibility and the ability to adapt to change in a fast-paced work environment
- Basic understanding of AWS services is a requirement
- Ability to travel 5-10% of the time as and when necessary
What we are looking for in this role
- Ability to manage complex initiatives with limited supervision.
- Experience with REST API technologies (JSON, Swagger, OAuth/OAuth2, etc.), API governance (standards, lifecycle management, monitoring)
- Understanding of Containerization and Container orchestration (Docker & Kubernetes)
- Experience with definition and analysis of metrics that inform the success of products
- Experience with integration technologies, platforms, and tools
- Experience with scrum and other Agile development methodologies
- Experience with Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Experience with Reporting, Analytics, Business Intelligence
- Experience with GUI development and usability
- Understanding of blue-green, canary deployments, rolling updates and zero downtime updates.
- Ability to clearly articulate product requirements and prioritize enhancement requests
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills
- 5+ years of enterprise software experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical major
- Experience writing user stories and epics that helps to reduce ambiguity for the development team
- Familiarity with JIRA and AHA desired
The Guidewire Work Environment
Values are lived, not merely asserted. Most corporate values are hollow platitudes because they are too numerous, abstract, or idealistic. They are cast aside when inconvenient …and often disregarded by the company’s leadership. Real values are revealed by actions. And a “commitment to one’s values” only matters if you are willing to sacrifice things you want (sales, profits, or competitive advantage even!) in order to uphold them. We stand by these values and they inform everything we do and everything we say.
Guidewire is founded on the values of collegiality, rationality and integrity. Put simply, this means:
- We strive to work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy, and to value each others’well-being over the crisis-of-the-moment. We aim for a minimum of hierarchy and expect all managers to do “individual contributor" work. There are no status privileges—we all fly coach, both literally and figuratively.
- We make decisions on the basis offacts and logic, and not for the irrational justifications that can creep in. Too often title/role, tenure with the company, political theater, rationalizations of sunk costs or wishful thinking become the basis for (mostly poor) decisions. That said we do not valorize raw intellect. Our ideal is practical reason: developing sound, pragmatic solutions to real problems and following them through to completion.
- We tell the truth, both externally and internally. Everything Guidewire has achieved since its founding has been on the foundation of the truth: what our products can and cannot do; the true cost and effort of implementation; the true state of our business. We have quarterly company meetings with substantive updates on all aspects of company performance, and in-person accessibility of the entire management team is the norm. We believe in forthright answers to each other on any question and honest acknowledgement of problems with our products, projects, processes…or anything else.
Download our Culture and Values deck:
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.