Director of Data Science and Machine Learning - San Mateo, CA
- Department: Analytics and Data Services
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
About the Role
We seek a Director of Data Science and Machine Learning who will play a strategic role in supporting innovation with data and analytics at Guidewire. This role is responsible for continuous improvement of our risk models, while collaborating with our customers and business in advancing new opportunities to support growth. You will partner with product management in the development and design of new products that leverage innovative data sciences capabilities and data sources. You will leverage your creative and critical thinking skills to develop strategies that have meaningful, game-changing impact to the business. You will effectively lead a team of data scientists and influence a variety of individuals within our product management and software engineering teams across the organization with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills. This role will require hands-on mentorship, technical judgment, communication, and leadership utilized to build strong relationships and synergy across teams, departments, and the customer community.
This position is located at Guidewire corporate headquarters in San Mateo, CA.
Job Description - Essential Functions
- Provide oversight of the design, architecture, and integration of our data products and analytical initiatives at Guidewire
- Lead and recruit a distributed team of data scientists and risk modelers, providing mentorship, oversight and coaching, and encouraging their professional growth
- Scope, design, and advise implementation of machine-learning models to support the business’s initiatives with a view of achieving overall objectives and targets
- Identify opportunities for new and innovative analytical products and insights that bring value to Guidewire’s customers
- Leverage data science, machine learning, and other modeling techniques to improve client solutions and capabilities.
- Identify and/or develop new data sources and analytical solutions aligning with business to provide product innovation. Understand market to create and evaluate new additions to enhance data assets.
- Work collaboratively with the senior Data and Analytics management and serve as a trusted advisor to this executive leadership in the creation and deployment of useful insights
- Actively champion the value of data as a strategic business asset, be a thought leader in developing and communicating new value propositions to the market, and lead the translation of business concepts into action
- Influence and work with colleagues across Guidewire’s other departments
- Excellent written, oral and influential communications skills and the ability to drive to agreement with good negotiation skills
- BS (MS or advanced degree preferred) in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or related technical field
- 10+ years hands-on technical experience with data science, analytics, server-side development
- 5+ years experience developing and deploying ML-based solutions and predictive models to address industry problems, preferably at an enterprise software company
- Strong leadership and people management skills with a consistent track record in leading successful project, product or business initiatives
- Strong programming skills (R, Python, Scala), and deep knowledge of statistical and modeling techniques
- Strong proficiency working with large and varied datasets, and designing and maintaining complex and scalable data pipelines, data quality and anomaly detection frameworks
- Experience with distributed data processing frameworks (Spark, Hadoop) preferably in a Cloud computing environment (AWS)
- Ability to articulate time/scope tradeoffs and drive consensus to balance the needs of many different stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced Agile-environment, prioritize deliverables and manage multiple competing projects simultaneously
- Proven track record of strong technical writing, communication and data visualization/presentation skills and the ability to present concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Understanding of insurtech and fintech industry verticals
- Familiarity with actuarial or financial modeling
About Guidewire Cyence Risk Analytics
Guidewire Software (NYSE:GWRE) is a leading provider of software solutions to the global property-casualty (P&C) insurance industry, with over 3500 customers, on six continents. Guidewire’s Cyence Risk Analytics helps insurers and other financial institutions to model new and evolving risks such as cyber. By combining internet-scale data listening, adaptive machine learning, and insurance risk modeling, Cyence insights that help P&C customers face new risks, take advantage of new opportunities, and develop new products. To learn more about Cyence, visit https://www.guidewire.com/products/cyence.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.