Director of Software Quality Assurance- San Mateo, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Guidewire serves a global community of more than 350 insurers of all sizes and lines of business in more than 30 countries. Community feedback enables us to stay at the forefront of what is happening all over the world in P&C and to incorporate insights into the design of our platform to be truly customer centric.
Are you a dynamic and experienced hands-on technical quality manager with a proven track record of building and running an effective global quality assurance team? You believe in automation and adept at the frameworks in the open source world. You have managed transition of testing from legacy applications to the cloud? We would love to talk to you.
You will help manage quality assurance teams that will play a significant role in releasing software with the quality that is expected of us by our customers. You would be responsible for our self-managed software quality as well as our cloud-based offerings. Guidewire’s cloud platform is targeted to be best-in-class in enabling our customers with mission services in the property and casualty insurance domain. You will work in a highly collaborative environment in agile, cross-functional teams.
What you would do
- Help quality teams to hit high efficiencies and turnaround times for acceptance tests
- Work to improve and expand our automated test coverage
- Follow agile best practices and improve knowledge density of the team
- Interact with leadership to help maintain business focus and consistent practices
- Support “shift left” of quality concerns to developers to catch issues early in the development cycle
- Drive effective resolution to escalations including post-mortem, root cause analysis and implementation s to ensure long term remediation of issues
- Prioritize and engage with quality teams
- Design and build automation frameworks to build tests with low impedance
- Handle release process and effective versioning of individual components and end-to-end product suite as a whole
- Drive Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD)
- Be a champion for quality and operational excellence with a bias for action
- Work with internal and external teams to effective resolution of issues and prevent them from happening
- Engage early with the product and engineering teams to understand features and their impact
- Catalog and initiate benchmarks on performance and security
- Manage a distributed team
What you would need to succeed
- Emphasize team wins over individual success
- Have successfully led multiple teams
- Strong leadership skills and representation for teams
- Experience working with senior leadership team to design technology and process landscape and develop overall cloud solution strategy
- Ability to work effectively across a global organization
- Strong technical communication skills
- Strong software engineering skills including experience with a modern agile development workflow using Git, unit and integration testing and CI/CD
- Experience working within a wide variety of automated testing frameworks, including Java, JUnit, Selenium, Karate, Cucumber and other open-source projects.
- Experience testing cloud-based environments
- Ability to work in an agile fast paced environment
- BS/MS degree (Computer Science or Math)
- 10+ years relevant work experience
Nice to have
- Knowledge of Teamcity CI
- Good Linux skills
The ideal candidate will share our core values: COLLEGIALITY, INTEGRITY, and RATIONALITY.
Collegiality - We value strong teams. We work together as professional equals. We strive to continuously improve our processes and make realistic assumptions to maintain a reasonable work-life balance. We are trusted to manage our own time. We value ideas, not titles. We welcome and consider contrary opinions.
Integrity - We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
Rationality - We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We believe in testing. We never assume that we're building software the "best" way, and constantly seek to improve our processes.
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire Insurance Platform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees. Their primary areas of focus are to ensure alignment of that architecture with business objectives and high-level company technology direction.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.