Cloud Application Architect - San Jose, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: San Jose, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
InsuranceNow Product Development team at Guidewire has an exciting opportunity for you! You will play a significant role in coming up with next generation Cloud architecture for this already very successful product. This is an opportunity for someone to work with various cross-functional groups at Guidewire, including Cloud Operations, Professional Services, Infosec and legal teams.
This is an individual contributor position at Staff level in Guidewire’s Product Development Organization.
What you would do
- Collaborate with key individuals that includes product managers, architects and senior engineering management, across Product Development and Cloud Operations organizations for coming up with a modern Infrastructure and Application architecture.
- Lead the architecture definition for taking InsuranceNow application to a true SaaS model, by revamping existing architecture significantly, and adding new elements to the architecture.
- The new architecture will be based on Dockerizing existing application components, using Kubernetes, Istio, OAuth, etc. frameworks.
- Automation, scalability, high availability, optimal costs, ability to easily operate and support, are all first-class citizens of the architecture.
- Architecture need to factor secure multi-tenancy design, performance metrics, operational logging, self-healing and observability.
- Own Continuous Integration (CI) and Automated Testing pipelines for your work.
- Own, troubleshoot & resolve code defects
- Passionate about quality, mentoring junior candidates and in general a great team player
What skills you need
- Solid understanding of Public Cloud architecture: IaaS, PaaS, SaaS.
- 10+ years of all overall software or infrastructure developer experience, with 5 years of it on building Cloud Architectures or applications leveraging cloud architectures.
- AWS experience is highly preferred, but experience with Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud is also okay.
- Experience in building applications with distributed architecture, distributed databases is highly desirable.
- Must have authoritative knowledge on high-availability, load balancing and auto-scaling concepts.
- Knowledge of SaaS concepts: zero down-time upgrades, blue/green deployments, testing of SaaS with customers, promotion of code from QA to Staging to Production, etc.
- Knowledge of relational and non-relational databases is required.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code software tools is must: knowledge with Terraform, Cloud Formation is required. If not experienced in either one, Chef/Ansible/Puppet experience is acceptable.
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented programming concepts: knowledge of Java, C++ or Python is a must.
- Ability to rapidly absorb new technologies and have the desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Coach and mentor other engineers technically. Ability to lead the team for results.
- If you are certified AWS Developer or Architect (associate or professional level) or any other certification related Cloud Architecture, it will be a big bonus.
- Understanding of authentication, role-based access control (authorization) concepts and SIEM tools.
- Familiarity with Sumo Logic or Elastic Stack for search analytics and operational logging systems.
The ideal candidate will share our core values: Collegiality, Integrity, and Rationality.
Collegiality - We value strong teams. We work together as professional equals. We strive to continuously improve our processes and make realistic assumptions to maintain a reasonable work-life balance. We are trusted to manage our own time. We value ideas, not titles. We welcome and consider contrary opinions.
Integrity - We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
Rationality - We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We believe in testing. We never assume that we're building software the "best" way, and constantly seek to improve our processes.
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire’s InsuranceNow is an all-in-one Cloud based platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our insurance customers’ business. Insurance Platform provides Core insurance business functions such as policy, claims, and billing management, and data analytics and reporting, as well as digital experience for customers. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.