MS SQL Database Administrator
- Department: Cloud and Customer Success
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
- Country: Ireland
MS SQL Database Administrator
Guidewire Software – Dublin
Guidewire is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an MS SQL Server Database Administrator. As a DBA at Guidewire, assignments, decision making and complexity are not limited to just carrying out established work processes and operations. You will be learning new and exciting AWS processes as we embrace our journey to the cloud. In addition, you will learn additional database platforms which will expand your skills in both database administration and performance tuning.
- Assist in daily administration activities including replication monitoring, transaction log shipping monitoring, database mirroring, database backups and maintenance jobs, tuning, trouble shooting and on-call production support.
- Tuning, trouble shooting and on-call production support for MS SQL Server and Aurora environments deployed in multi-AZ AWS environments both on the EC2 and RDS platforms.
- Monitor and work the JIRA ticket queue for request to make schema changes, security changes, execute scripts against the databases and refresh non-production databases.
- Advise application development and support teams on process bottlenecks and provide database tuning to ensure optimal performance.
- Assist the support staff to troubleshoot SQL and any other database errors.
- Provide 24*7 on-call support (includes holidays) for the Microsoft SQL Server, Aurora (MySQL) and Oracle production and non-production databases.
- Report bi-weekly to management about abnormalities and critical issues; provide root cause analysis and recommendations; work with infrastructure team, application team and/or other teams for problems resolution, follow escalation path if needed.
- Basic Knowledge of RDBMS systems. Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL preferred.
- Knowledge of ANSI SQL Language (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, JOIN, WHERE, ETC…).
- HTML/CSS/PHP, Command-line and shell scripting experience a plus.
- Strong analytical, communication both written and verbal and quality control skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with different deadlines.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and uses sound judgment.
- A team player who works well with others.
- Desire to learn and improve your skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products.
- General desktop and windows server experience.
- Be available after hours and weekends as necessary for customer maintenances.
- Technical support or call center support experience a plus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related area preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in database administration
- 3+ years’ experience in MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle or other database scripting language
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.