Revenue Manager - Foster City, CA
- Department: General and Administrative
- Location: Foster City, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Guidewire Software (NYSE: GWRE) is a leading provider of software solutions to the global property-casualty insurance industry. We have pursued one mission from our founding as a company in 2001: to be the pre-eminent provider of next-generation core systems — policy, claims, and billing — to the global property-casualty industry. All of our employees understand that we serve only one industry and strive to solve one problem: to enable insurance carriers to migrate completely from legacy systems to a modern core system platform. We currently have 158 customers and over 100 are in live production. We are expanding our business in order to assist our customers in transforming their businesses and to ensure that each one is successful in this journey. Our investments range from expanding our professional consulting services to providing new instant-on cloud based applications.
Our revenue team plays an integral role with regard to Guidewire’s current operations, our growth objectives, and the broader finance organization. Revenue team has an important seat at the table with the CEO, CFO and the Sales leadership team as it relates to deals, new products, licensing, and business model expansion. We operate in 17 countries today with plans to drive our growth through organic initiatives as well as acquisitions and partnerships. Our revenue team will be evolving. The revenue team receives a lot of exposure with opportunities to influence the long term direction of the company including how we license and sell our software, consulting, and cloud services.
As the Revenue Manager, you will have a central role in assisting with our global revenue accounting function and will report to the Director of Revenue. You will be responsible for ensuring the integrity of revenue accounting and order-to-cash operations by providing leadership, accounting expertise, and a strong desire to improve processes and controls. We are looking for a talented and passionate individual who is organized with an exceptional attention to detail. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, great communicator, and enjoys collaborating with people in a dynamic fast-paced environment. This role will have up to two direct reports.
Leadership & Process Excellence
- Experience in creating an environment where people want to do their best, can motivate direct reports and team or project members, and can assess how to get the best out of the team or individual. Experience should include specific examples of growing a team by pushing tasks and decisions down to create competency and empower others.
- Leadership style should include an open door policy to input and visibility, as well as the ability and willingness to recognize individual contribution and that their work is important and valued. In essence, be a person that you would want to work for who encourages and challenges and leads by example.
- Proven ability to deliver and drive to results in measurable and defined ways.
- Process management excellence – good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done along with the ability to organize people and activities; not a micromanager but a leader who can picture and articulate what needs to be done and how to separate or combine tasks into efficient work flows for scalability.
- Understands personal productivity and how to measure it and see synergy and integration where others can’t as a solution provider, not a task master. Simplifies complex processes, get more out of fewer resources.
- Exceptional problem solver – uses rigorous logic and methods to solve problems and is excellent at honest analysis. Doesn’t stop at first answers.
- Strong business acumen – can identify risk and opportunity.
- Great multi-tasker – we’re mobile and global, can marshal resources (people, money, material support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal.
Revenue Recognition Expertise and Excellence
- Review and analyze revenue contracts and document significant terms and accounting conclusions to ensure that revenue is recorded in compliance with Company’s revenue recognition policy and accounting literature in accordance with ASC 985-605, and 606.
- Partner and work cross functionally with other business groups (Sales, Professional Services, FP&A, Legal) on customer contract negotiations and revenue recognition assessments.
- Manage the execution of monthly global revenue close including review of revenue, deferred revenue, journals, account reconciliation and fluxes, ensuring accurate results are delivered on time for reporting in accordance with US GAAP.
- Responsible for managing revenue accounting operations; order-to-cash processes.
- Lead and manage quarterly reviews and year-end financial audits by external auditors.
- Support SEC reporting processes as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with internal requirements and develop/refine revenue accounting processes and procedures with a focus on continuous improvements.
- Work closely with key business owners to drive key system initiatives and improvements.
- Support revenue team on ad-hoc analysis and projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with CPA preferred.
- 7+ years of combined experience in public/private industry and public accounting, with at least 3 years of work experience directly related to revenue recognition.
- Experience at Big 4 public accounting firm is preferred.
- Experience in the software and technology sector is preferred.
- Knowledge of current US GAAP with respect to revenue recognition and ability/willingness to stay current on all related developing issues
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, and business partnering skills with demonstrated ability to work cross functionally and at various levels within a company
- Excellent time management skills and operate with a sense of urgency, with self-starter orientation
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to suggest new ideas and process improvements in an increasingly complex environment.
- Detail-oriented with superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Intermediate/advanced Excel skills required and ability to work with and analyze and interpret large volumes of transactional data.
- Oracle Cloud application experience is preferred.
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire InsurancePlatform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.