Oracle Database Administrator - San Mateo, CA or San Jose, CA
- Department: Cloud and Customer Success
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Looking to start an exciting new career as a Database Administrator? Do you have a basic understanding of relational databases and the SQL language? Guidewire is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Oracle Database Administrator. As a DBA at Guidewire, assignments, decision making and complexity are not limited to just carrying out established work processes and operations. You will be learning new and exciting AWS processes as we embrace our journey to the cloud. In addition, you will learn additional database platforms which will expand your skills in both database administration and performance tuning.
- Assist in daily administration activities including setup, configuration and monitoring of Oracle Rman and logical backups, Oracle DataGuard and Oracle ASM.
- Tuning, trouble shooting and on-call production support for oracle environments deployed in multi-AZ AWS environments both on the EC2 and RDS platforms.
- Monitor and work the JIRA ticket queue for request to make schema changes, security changes, execute scripts against the databases and refresh non-production databases.
- Advise application development and support teams on process bottlenecks and provide database tuning to ensure optimal performance.
- Assist the support staff to troubleshoot SQL and any other database errors.
- Provide 24*7 on-call support (includes holidays) for the Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and Aurora (MySQL) production and non-production databases.
- Report monthly to management about abnormalities and critical issues; provide root cause analysis and recommendations; work with infrastructure team, application team and/or other teams for problem resolutions, following the escalation path if needed.
- Oracle RMAN and logical backup and recovery processes
- Oracle DataGuard and ASM
- Knowledge of running Oracle on Unix/Linux
- Deploying or migrating oracle databases into AWS (ec2 or RDS) desired but not essential
- Oracle 12c and 13c Enterprise Manager Cloud Control
- Basic Knowledge of RDBMS systems. Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL preferred.
- Knowledge of ANSI SQL Language (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, JOIN, WHERE, etc…).
- HTML/CSS/PHP, Command-line and shell scripting experience a plus.
- Strong analytical, communication both written and verbal and quality control skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with different deadlines.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and uses sound judgment.
- A team player who works well with others.
- Desire to learn and improve your skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products.
- General desktop with windows and linux server experience.
- Be available after hours and weekends as necessary for customer maintenances.
- Technical support or call center production support experience a plus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related area preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in database administration
- 3+ years’ experience in Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL or otherdatabase scripting language
Guidewire exists to deliver the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business.
Guidewire InsurancePlatform is the P&C industry platform that unifies software, services, and partner ecosystem to power our customers’ business. InsurancePlatform provides the standard upon which insurers can engage their customers, optimize their operations, drive smart decisions, and innovate quickly. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.