PostgreSQL Database Administrator
- Department: Cloud and Customer Success
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
- Country: Ireland
PostgreSQL Database Administrator
Looking to start an exciting new career as a Database Administrator? Do you have a basic understanding of relational databases and the SQL language? Guidewire is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team primarily as a Postgres Database Administrator. As a DBA at Guidewire, assignments, decision making and complexity are not limited to just carrying out established work processes and operations. You will be learning new and exciting AWS processes as we embrace our journey to the cloud. In addition, you will learn additional database platforms which will expand your skills in both database administration and performance tuning.
- Assist in daily administration activities including setup, configuration and monitoring of PostgreSQL pyhsical and logical backups within multiple AWS environments.
- Tuning, trouble shooting and on-call production support for PostgreSQL environments deployed in multi-AZ AWS environments both on the EC2 and RDS/Aurora platforms.
- Monitor and work the JIRA ticket queue for request to make schema changes, security changes, execute scripts against the databases and refresh non-production databases.
- Advise application development and support teams on process bottlenecks and provide database tuning to ensure optimal performance.
- Assist the support staff to troubleshoot SQL and any other database errors.
- Provide 24*7 on-call support (includes holidays) for Oracle, MSSQL and Aurora (PostgreSQL/MySQL) production and non-production databases.
- Report monthly to management about abnormalities and critical issues; provide root cause analysis and recommendations; work with infrastructure team, application team and/or other teams for problem resolutions, following the escalation path if needed.
- General PostgreSQL 9.x/10.x administration
- Postgres Logical Replication experience desired but not essential
- Working knowledge of the PL/pgSQL
- Deploying or migrating databases into AWS (ec2 or RDS) desired but not essential
- Comfortable with working with linux or other unix variant.
- Any exposure to programming language – eg bash, python etc. Command-line and shell scripting experience a plus.
- Basic working knowledge of other RDBMS systems such as Oracle or MySQL.
- Knowledge of ANSI SQL Language (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, JOIN, WHERE, etc…).
- Strong analytical, communication both written and verbal and quality control skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with different deadlines.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and uses sound judgment.
- A team player who works well with others.
- Desire to learn and improve your skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products.
- General desktop with Windows and Linux server experience.
- Be available after hours and weekends as necessary for customer maintenances.
- Technical support or production support experience a plus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related area preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in database administration
- 3+ years’ experience in at least one of PostGresSQL, Oracle, MSSQL or MySQL
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.