Senior/Principal Product Manager, Data Platform – San Mateo, CA
- Department: Product Development
- Location: San Mateo, CA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Guidewire is widely recognized as the leading provider of software solutions for the property and casualty insurance industry. Our software offers property and casualty insurance companies the tools to take care of their customers when they need it the most, whether that’s a time of crisis, a natural disaster, an accident, or exposure to cyber risks. As part of this mission, Guidewire provides a cloud native data platform easily and reliably extract the data from their internal systems for use in operational reporting and internal data analysis; gain access to external data sources at internet scale; apply machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to curate and make sense of the data, analyze it and turn the raw data actionable insight.
We are looking for an accomplished product management professional to join our data platform team. Guidewire’s Data Platform team is responsible for building an integrated, scalable, secure and robust data platform, to help both our internal development teams & our customers leverage data easily.
The platform is designed to support all of our analytics, data science, and data management applications, while being integrated foundationally across our broad product portfolio, to usher in a new era of analytic driven experiences, services and insurance product offerings for the property & casualty industry.
In this role, you will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment to guide products from conception to launch by connecting the technical and business worlds. You will break down complex problems into steps that drive product development at speed. This opportunity is not just to build products, but to be part of a team that helps transform an industry with data & analytic driven technology at the center.
What you’ll do
- Lead teams through the ideation, technical development, and launch of innovative product capabilities, geared towards data storage, access & security.
- Establish shared vision across the company by building consensus on priorities leading to product execution
- Drive product development with a team of world-class engineers and designers
- Integrate usability studies, research and market analysis into product requirements to enhance user satisfaction
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products
- Maximize efficiency in a constantly evolving environment where the process is fluid and creative solutions are the norm
- You will align your team's work with Guidewire’s overall Data & Analytic strategy, including working with teams that are focused on both transactional systems of record and analytics across the insurance lifecycle, including risk analytics and straight through processing for claims.
- Gather and define the requirements that will be used to research and innovate new methods of data acquisition, data integration and data publication in the cloud.
- Be the expert who can help customers, QA, support, sales, and other groups with questions about our cloud native data infrastructure and products.
What we are looking for in this role
- 5+ years product management experience
- 5+ years of experience working with technical architecture of cloud solutions & security
- This role requires conceptual understanding & knowledge of cloud technology, Data Lakes, micro-services, distributed systems, Data security, AWS & Big Data ecosystems.
- You should feel comfortable with data cataloging, integration, and enrichment concepts and techniques and be able to understand how data relates to end user analytics requirements and applications.
- Cloud native software delivery experience
- Ability to manage complex initiatives with limited supervision.
- A highly effective people influencer
- You’re driven, focused, and quick to take ownership of your work
- Adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in ambiguity
- Humbleness - you’re willing to get into the details and you’re open to feedback
- Technical knowledge of big data & cloud technologies, services, tooling & infrastructure preferred.
The Guidewire Work Environment
Values are lived, not merely asserted. Most corporate values are hollow platitudes because they are too numerous, abstract, or idealistic. They are cast aside when inconvenient …and often disregarded by the company’s leadership. Real values are revealed by actions. And a “commitment to one’s values” only matters if you are willing to sacrifice things you want (sales, profits, or competitive advantage even!) in order to uphold them. We stand by these values and they inform everything we do and everything we say.
Guidewire is founded on the values of collegiality, rationality and integrity. Put simply, this means:
- We strive to work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy, and to value each others’well-being over the crisis-of-the-moment. We aim for a minimum of hierarchy and expect all managers to do “individual contributor" work. There are no status privileges—we all fly coach, both literally and figuratively.
- We make decisions on the basis offacts and logic, and not for the irrational justifications that can creep in. Too often title/role, tenure with the company, political theater, rationalizations of sunk costs or wishful thinking become the basis for (mostly poor) decisions. That said we do not valorize raw intellect. Our ideal is practical reason: developing sound, pragmatic solutions to real problems and following them through to completion.
- We tell the truth, both externally and internally. Everything Guidewire has achieved since its founding has been on the foundation of the truth: what our products can and cannot do; the true cost and effort of implementation; the true state of our business. We have quarterly company meetings with substantive updates on all aspects of company performance, and in-person accessibility of the entire management team is the norm. We believe in forthright answers to each other on any question and honest acknowledgement of problems with our products, projects, processes…or anything else.
Download our Culture and Values deck:
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.